Quick summary of the digital school conference notes.
Finally the notes from the digital school conference in Berlin last week.
Besides the previously summarized key statements below:
- digitalization of the school environment is a prerequisite to give students a chance to participate in the digital transformation
- individualized learning can be very well supported by technology, it is the common language, it makes learning independent from time and place
- the whole digitalization is based on TRUST and the students, teachers and parents taking RESPONSIBILITY for it together
- new ways of learning require new ways of testing/checking results (verifying learning progress)
- only “people most adaptable to change will survive”
Now the notes summary:
- use media in a pedagogic way and combine analog and digital teaching
- it is okay to make mistakes, don’t know everything from the beginning
- school has to go outside, into the surrounding community
- don’t read books, write books → create your own learning material
- students are responsible for the learning progress, not the teacher → teacher as learning coach only
- availability of IT support during school hours is necessary, not covered by teachers only
- data privacy and data security concerns are key arguments to block any digital transformation in schools
- usage of digital media and new ways of digital teaching have to be a driving factor in the education of new teachers and the further ongoing training of already working teachers → skills assessment, gap analysis, development plan
- reduce hierarchies, go away from competition towards sharing knowledge and information
- enforce cooperation between different schools, share ideas and issues, networking → more power working together
“Digital media is like electricity. It's not a sake in itself, it's a tool, helping us to individualize.” - “Technology is a Language, diversity is not the Language or The Color of your Skin, it's How you learn” !!