Different ideas about leadership ...
Early this week I was reading the Fortune article about the 50 World's Greatest Leaders in 2017 (http://fortune.com/worlds-greatest-leaders/). My wife did read the same article and was wondering, how Theo Epstein - President, Baseball Operations, Chicago Cubs could be the #1 on the list, given the fact that there are people like e.g. Pope Francis, Angela Merkel, Janet Yellen, Joe Biden and Elon Musk?
It could be related to being German and not understanding the story behind Baseball and what it did mean for the Chicago Cubs to win the championship again after 108 years (http://fortune.com/2017/03/23/theo-epstein-chicago-cubs-worlds-greatest-leaders/)?
Or it could be the Fortune selection criteria (http://fortune.com/2017/03/23/worlds-50-greatest-leaders-intro/) like:
- Acknowledge reality and offer hope
- Bring followers physically together
- Build bridges
- "Remember as you scan our list that we evaluate each leader within his or her own field of endeavor. Someone leading a small organization effectively may rank above someone far more famous nudging global issues. Our point isn’t to declare that, say, No. 7 on our list is “greater” than No. 9. The point is that great leaders can be anywhere—at the helm of a giant corporation, running a rural college, or in a cramped office exerting influence through sheer personal energy."
Maybe it is related to the word Leader in comparison to e.g. Manager or Supervisor? Peter F. Drucker (http://www.drucker.institute/about-peter-f-drucker/) has a clear statement about the difference, in one of my favorite quotes:
- “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
- And he has much more 😋 --> https://assets.entrepreneur.com/article/1411582563-10-peter-drucker-quotes.jpg?_ga=1.195703020.1595219537.1492021649
The good thing is the Fortune list has role models for everybody. Make your own selection and apply your own definition of LEADER and LEADERSHIP. Maybe the following links can be of any help?
- 5 WAYS TO HACK THE POWER TRIANGLE https://leadershipfreak.blog/2017/04/09/5-ways-to-hack-the-power-triangle/
- The Big Five Personality Traits Model https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCDV_22.htm?utm_source=nl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=11Apr17#np
- Shifting from Manager to Leader https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/shifting-from-manager-leader-sara-canaday