SMART GERMANY - 28th Engineering Day ...
Yesterday afternoon I did visit the 28th Engineering day of the VDI, The Association of German Engineers (http://www.vdi.eu/) with the key topic "SMART GERMANY - Working in the Digital Transformation" (https://www.vdi.de/technik/fachthemen/digitale-transformation/smart-germany-arbeit-in-der-digitalen-transformation/ - sorry only in German 😙).
Good to see that this topic is getting a much larger audience and the VDI has selected this theme as the main focus point for 2017. Below my personal quick summary and some interesting references, you might want to investigate:
- The next big topic after Robotic, IoT, AI, VR and Big Data will be Digital Health Care
- See https://www.mc10inc.com/our-story or https://www.media.mit.edu/groups/biomechatronics/overview/ or http://www.computerworld.com/article/3066870/wearables/why-a-smart-contact-lens-is-the-ultimate-wearable.html as some examples
- Neurobridge devices will be very helpful https://www.cnet.com/news/neurobridge-device-allows-quadriplegic-to-move-own-hand/ sooner than later
- Christian Baudis (http://christianbaudis.com/) gave a great presentation about status quo and short-term outlook, see his Blog at http://www.mydigital33.com/blog/
- "Robots are no job killers", tasks and content of the business world will change dramatically - Change cycles are becoming significantly shorter
- Smart services - New Digital business models based on platforms are required
- Productivity gains through automation MUST be invested in education and training
- We have to think and work interdisciplinary - make more use of cultural diversity
- We need to much more talk about and focus on opportunities than risk
- We urgently need Digital and Innovation competence, start in Kindergarten and proceed for the rest of your life - "Try more, failing is okay"
- We have to establish permanent digital education (IT and media competency) - as an enabler for digital change
- "Our kids still see being Online as a hobby, it has to become a profession"