The AfA suddenly taking initiative ...
Yesterday I got an official letter from the AfA (Agentur fuer Arbeit) - the employment agency or government labor office. In the letter I found two job descriptions with the request to immediately apply and keep the AfA posted about the progress I am making. In the meetings with my AfA contact so far I always heard that they will not be able to find a job for me, as management positions and the salary level I am looking for, are not part of their standard scope and focus area. No problem for me I just had to provide my application statistics on a regular basis.
One of the AfA rules is related to the reduction of job requirements with respect to location, salary and content over time. The longer you are without employment, the more you have to go away from your initial requirements for your "dream position". You have to accept deviations and a worse match. In general I am fine, if somebody is proposing potential positions to me that I have overlooked or not found in my daily/weekly search jobs. But the two proposals from yesterday were just too far away from my expectation.
The one position was in a town 320 miles away from home, with a 35% lower salary and a much lower qualification level. The other one was closer by, but similar salary reduction and two expertise areas required that I could not cover. I did verify the details with both HR representatives and provided my feedback back to the AfA contact. Will be interesting to see, if my argumentation for not applying will be accepted in both cases? To be a "good soldier", I did apply for another position from the official AfA job portal today that was a much better fit to my requirements and expectations.
Below some links to articles that cover topics I touched in the last days already:
- UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME: Why Free Money for Everyone Is Silicon Valley’s Next Big Idea http://fortune.com/2017/06/29/universal-basic-income-free-money-silicon-valley/
- ConCarExpo 2017:Police in Dubai have recruited a self-driving robo-car that can ‘scan for undesirables’ https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15893802/dubai-police-robot-drone-car
- ConCarExpo 2017: Hacker vs. Auto Industry: The autonomous car industry on tackling security issues https://blog.nxp.com/automotive/hacker-vs-auto-industry-the-autonomous-car-industry-on-tackling-security-issues
- Change: How to Make Immediate Behavior Changes https://journal.thriveglobal.com/most-self-improvement-strategies-and-even-psychological-interventions-seek-incremental-progress-519edffef865
- Change: 7 Brain Hacks That Will Dramatically Improve Your Intelligence and Success https://journal.thriveglobal.com/7-mental-tricks-that-will-make-you-more-intelligent-and-successful-b62cf1777be1
- Change: The 6 steps to turning off your phone and achieving social health https://medium.com/world-economic-forum/the-6-steps-to-turning-off-your-phone-and-achieving-social-health-c279350d4798
- Change over 50: 6 ways to score a fulfilling job when you’re over 50 https://www.theladders.com/p/23565/great-job-over-50
- Technology: 10 digital transformation must-reads https://enterprisersproject.com/article/2017/7/10-digital-transformation-must-reads?sc_cid=70160000000xYXuAAM
- Technology: The top 10 barriers to digital transformation http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-top-10-barriers-to-digital-transformation/?sc_cid=70160000000xYXuAAM
- Technology: How artificial intelligence can deliver real value to companies http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-analytics/our-insights/how-artificial-intelligence-can-deliver-real-value-to-companies?cid=other-eml-nsl-mgi-mck-oth-1707&hlkid=a11dfa84f50a4fac97f97302b8ad3235&hctky=9946258&hdpid=99b1af87-31df-4500-903f-f651be5dcf8f
- Technology: Apple Should Buy IBM http://blogs.forrester.com/george_colony/17-06-29-apple_should_buy_ibm
Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice. Anton Chekhov, Russian - Dramatist January 29, 1860 - July 14, 1904