Talents YES, best agers NO ...
As you might know I did get my current job in July 2018, when I was 55 years old. Kudos and thanks a lot to my current supervisor, who did had the trust in me and gave me the chance for a new start. This is definitely an exception in the current job market and deserves a lot of appreciation.
Because when you are 50+ in Germany, you are out of scope for most of the vacant positions and it is really difficult to find something new or to get an agreement with a customer for a 50+ year old talent as right placement advisor. I just had a great example - a potential candidate with 10 years project management and 20 years technical expertise. A great fit for a position that is open for 10+ month, but he was not even considered for the closer circle of candidates. Too old and too expensive, to be honest. But why should guys with 20+ years experience accept a starting salary of students or youngsters with maximum 3 years in the job market?
Today there was an article in the news paper - 80,000+ IT positions are open in Germany and cannot be filled, because no talents are available. What a limited view on the reality, when you complain about the missing workforce on the one side and do not take the 50+ year old experts, with another 10 - 17 years to go until retirement, even into consideration.
Men take only their needs into consideration - never their abilities. Napoleon Bonaparte, French - Leader August 15, 1769 - May 5, 1821
With two years experience in searching a new job or trying to get candidates for customers as right placement advisor, I can summarize the current situation as follows: Stop complaining about the war for talent, when you are not willing to change your usual search strategies and increase your scope with respect to age for example!! 🤔
Interested in other stuff?
- 12 Keys to Success https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6479256450077065216
- Would you trust your own code? https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:ugcPost:6478189647280381953
- Key factors for successful goal achievement https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6479258001059385344
- What can we learn from people who succeed later in life? https://ideas.ted.com/what-can-we-learn-from-people-who-succeed-later-in-life/
- “Struggle is not an option: it's a biological requirement.” - Daniel Coyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZxkC2uGhc
- Virgin Galactic: VSS Unity - First Suborbital Flight from 13-Dec-18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-EokQLohQ