Europe on the agenda again ...
After so many weeks of BREXIT discussion and chaos in the UK, it was really quiet for some weeks now. Nearly daily ballots in the parliament for weeks - this was the impression we got outside of the UK - without any result and finally the cut off date has been moved beyond the EUROPEAN ELECTIONS 2019 date (23 - 26-May-19). See http://www.europarl.europa.eu/portal/en and https://www.european-elections.eu/
So the UK will vote as well, send their representatives into the European Parliament and take them out again later in 2019. Sometimes a Compromise can really sound stupid and seems to be wasting a lot of money inside the UK and for the rest of Europe as well. This on top of all the other mainly negative biases with respect to Europe - e.g.:
- All politicians who are not successful or required in their own country anymore are send to the European Parliament
- The voter participation on European level is much lower than in country votes
- The *EXIT initiatives are getting more support in a lot of countries
- There are more radical tendencies on the right and left wings and less voter participation supports their good results
- and so on ...
So much effort, positive motivation and good faith has been put into this large European project in the past, it is time to reflect on the original idea again!! And see more the positive side and opportunities, instead of the downside only. Easier said than done, because the growing criticism becomes socially acceptable.
One of several possible opportunities has been described by Hannes Ametsreiter, the CEO Vodafone Germany today, worth reading and thinking about it :
- The United Digital States of Europe https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/united-digital-states-europe-hannes-ametsreiter/
Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better. Harry S Truman, American - President May 8, 1884 - December 26, 1972