Flexibility for Change ...
Change is everywhere anytime, you cannot avoid it or get out of it's way. In the "good old days" you did go to school, finished your studies or apprenticeship, started a job in a company and retired in the same several 10 years later. This changed 😉 a lot in the last 30 years and the digital transformation during the last decade did make the speed of change even faster.
One, besides a lot of other driving forces is the average job tenure of C-level managers. For a CIO (Chief Information Officer) it is 4 years and 5 month for example (2019 numbers) https://ejobdescription.com/CIO_Tenure.htm. These guys start their job, need to understand the new company, make a plan for an organizational/direction/strategy change (that their influence and mission becomes visible to the outside), make it happen, see the consequences of their change and finally prepare for the next tenure in another company. The employees on the working level normally stay longer in their company and are facing regular changes in their work environment.
There are two main ways to handle change - ignore it and just wait until it is over - or be flexible, understand the new plans and make the best out of it for yourself and your company. When there is something in it for you, it will be a change to the better.
Nothing is more terrible than to see ignorance in action. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German - Poet August 28, 1749 - March 22, 1832, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe
I am sure flexibility is the way to go - not always easy and it deserves some practice and experience - but exactly why I selected the picture for today.
To gather content and get practice, some material to check out:
- A STRUCTURED APPROACH TO IMPLEMENTING CHANGE (20-Jun-19) https://daniellock.com/
- The Leadership Development Framework https://harthill.co.uk/the-LDF-profile/the-leadership-development-framework/
- Seven Transformations of Leadership https://hbr.org/2005/04/seven-transformations-of-leadership
- Top 10 Change Management Books http://insights.btoes.com/business-transformation-opex/lists/best-change-management-books-top-10
- 6 of the Best Change Management Frameworks https://change.walkme.com/change-management-frameworks/
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. -- Maya Angelou, American - Poet April 4, 1928 - May 28, 2014, https://www.mayaangelou.com/