How to build teams ...
Picture by https://www.starcount.com/, quote by Christine Caine, see #62 on list https://www.ntaskmanager.com/blog/best-teamwork-quotes/
“The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” -- Babe Ruth, http://www.baberuth.com/biography/
So in Sports and Business - opposites complement each other - look for individuals and as much as possible different characters, talents and strength/weaknesses. The weakness of one team member could be the strength of another individual or in another situation 😉, you never know.
Two additional recommendations from my 18 years as people manager:
- Create awareness and understand cultural differences when you are respponsible for an international team. The following book was very helpful for me, http://www.thomaszweifel.com/Culture_Clash_-_the_book.html
- Do a personality test with your whole team and share the results in the team - only on a voluntary basis and in alignment with the works council, assuming the topic could be subject to co-determination, e.g. https://www.123test.com/disc-personality-test/
“The greater the loyalty of a group toward the group, the greater is the motivation among the members to achieve the goals of the group, and the greater the probability that the group will achieve its goals.” – Rensis Likert, https://www.famouspsychologists.org/rensis-likert/
- What Leaders Need To Do To Interrupt The Confirmation Bias https://www.forbes.com/sites/constancedierickx/2020/08/10/what-leaders-need-to-do-to-interrupt-the-confirmation-bias/#59618ead7f13
- 2 words that can help check your assumptions about people https://ideas.ted.com/2-words-that-can-help-check-your-assumptions-about-people/
- 10 Things Recruiters Used to Believe — But Don't Anymore https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/recruiting-tips/2020/things-recruiters-used-to-believe-but-do-not-anymore