Manage the system, ...
Another great picture and quote provided by Leadership First
This Simon Sinek quote fits perfectly to the Jurgen Appelo statement and presentation - Manage the System, Lead the People - describing the future of e.g. Line management, Leaders, Managers, Supervisors, etc. in a world that is becoming more AGILE every day.
I see it the same way and try to deliver this message in my workshops around Agile Leadership. There will be the Agile roles - Scrum Master, Product Owner or Team member - and maybe Mentors for improving functional expertise or Coaches to develop talents in the work environment.
Due to my strong believe where this should be going I did select the Senior Program Manager role and did not look for a Manager position, as this has no long-term perspective anymore anyway 😉. You can even do the same work without the title, by being a role model and providing a helping hand, when requested. Yes, this is easier said than done, especially when you will be loosing your Manager position - nothing is as constant as change - so get ready for a personal change NOW.
As change needs a good trigger, maybe you can find something in the links below?
- Visualizing the Happiest Country on Every Continent
- INCIDENTAL COMICS: Why I Run
- 50 Years of Gaming History, by Revenue Stream (1970-2020)
- Visualizing the Massive Gender Pay Gap Across U.S. Industries
- TED Playlist: How to learn from mistakes
- International Women's Day - March 8, 2021
- HOW ENERGY INCREASES, STRENGTH GROWS, AND THE SEDUCTION OF DOING EASY THINGS IS RESISTED
- Women in Work Index 2021
- The 3 Core Elements of an Innovation Ecosystem
- Setting Boundaries for Remote-Friendly Teams