Proceeding with my writing in more blog style on this page ...
As promised a more detailed summary of the TEDx event from yesterday. Just the key messages I did capture for me personally. If you are interested in more details, check the URL I share for every speaker.
Main theme was #OutsideTheBubble, how to best leave or extend your comfort zone. The organization team did it by not exactly following the distributed agenda on the left 😉.
It started with Leander Govinda Greitemann, a Live Philosopher, Speaker and Trainer, https://www.linkedin.com/in/leandergreitemann/
- Our Brain: Filter bubble machine, computer between our ears
- 40% of what we do every day is based on automated patterns
- He was talking about Neuroplasticity, Default Mode Network DMN and Direct Experience Network DEN
- You should use the space between stimulus and your standard response for new stuff, to get Outside your Bubble
Next was Christopher Patrick Peterka, a Futurist & Entrepreneur with his 2019 vision about borders between countries, https://www.linkedin.com/in/christopherpeterka/
- With our birth we are declared to be the member of a community
- But we are living in a VUCA normality now and companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook put us on drugs, our own hormones
- Alternative community/country
- D9 Leading Digital Governments, https://leadingdigitalgovs.org/
- e-estonia citizenship, https://e-resident.gov.ee/
- Free Republic of Liberland, https://liberland.org/en/about
- Republic of responsible optimists, https://medium.com/@THEHUSinstitute/we-launched-a-digital-republic-56a6e7b75255
- Small changes can have big impact - Be a Trimtab to initiate a change -https://marksinthesand.com/2013/10/15/call-trim-tab-influence/
Rozita Shojaei gave a very personal insight about her bubbles and the bubbles other people are building around her, https://www.linkedin.com/in/rozita-shojaei-25421115a/. Followed by Wilrieke Sophia and her talk about Intimacy, https://www.exploringdeeper.com/about-me/. After the break the 2nd part started off with a Taiko Performance, https://www.wadokyo-taiko.de/
Followed by Friederike Fabritius a Neuroscientist, https://www.fabulous-brain.com/
- 2/3 of the working people are stressed or bored at the job
- The Brain is a lazy couch potato and needs Fun, Fear and Focus to reach peak performance
- Dopamin - real brain booster, released by fun
- Have fun at work
- Fun his highly individual
- Fear: Slightly overchallenged, wake up call for the brain
- Sensation seaker
- Get the little kick you need
- Focus: Highlight,
- Nobody is texting while walking over broken glass
- With the right level of fun and fear, focus will follow naturally
Next Dr. Christoph Guertler, Head of Catalysis & Technology Incubation, https://www.linkedin.com/in/christoph-g%C3%BCrtler-a147bb3/, who is in the final round of the Deutsche Zukunftspreis with his team, see https://www.deutscher-zukunftspreis.de/en/team-1-2019.
Followed by Dr. Ljiljana Fruk from the University of Cambridge, https://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/directory/ljiljana-fruk
- Embracing the science of small things to fight a very agressive cancer
- Cross functional teams are required to design new drugs with more focused results using nanotechnology
- Making nano carriers out of the right material, using tracking devices controlled by mobile phones
The day was closed with a talk from Dr. Ben Hartwig: The Science Trainer, https://neuroblitz.de/en/home/
- He moved his bubble from science to improvisation theater
- We are feeling stressed, when an expectation is not met
- The concept of resilience is the power to bounce back - you can either be a soft ball or a tin can
- You can change your story by somebody believing in you - "You can sing, it does not sound good yet, but you can practice"
- There are no mistakes, there are different choices and opportunities
- Relaxation is fundamental for improvisation theater, give yourself permission to relax
- Never break under pressure, always be ready to play - between active and passive is PLAY
- Try to answer YES AND more often --> it takes ideas and builds on them
In summary a really great afternoon and program, looking forward to next year 2020 #TEDxKoenigsallee
The new finding ECOSIA and passing another milestone was great this week. Today the highlight to finish it - #TEDxKoenigsallee, #OutsideTheBubble.
More details in the next post, a small teaser right now https://youtu.be/zOXaCdb1dg4
The next two weeks I will be off work enjoying holiday, the first one since April, it was about time 🙃. Some links below, just in case you have some spare time:
- The 10 Must-Read Articles for Recruiters This Week (11-Oct-19) https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/weekly-digest/2019/10-must-read-articles-for-recruiters-this-week201
- 20 Mind-Boggling Facts About Quantum Computing Everyone Should Read https://www.bernardmarr.com/default.asp?contentID=1361
- 28 Best Quotes About Artificial Intelligence https://www.bernardmarr.com/default.asp?contentID=1158
- The power of letting go https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/power-letting-go-jeff-davis
- To be a great leader, you need to start by leading yourself https://ideas.ted.com/to-be-a-great-leader-you-need-to-start-by-leading-yourself
- CARLSBERG UNVEILS ‘WORLD’S FIRST’ PAPER BEER BOTTLE https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2019/10/carlsberg-unveils-worlds-first-paper-beer-bottle/
- Udacity will offer 100,000 free programming classes https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/10/udacity-will-offer-100000-free-programming-classes-as-part-of-the-pledge-to-americas-workers
ECOSIA, a German startup from Berlin, is basically a search engine that is planting trees instead of paying a dividend to share holders, see https://www.ecosia.org/. On average you need around 45 searches to plant a new tree!
Is this serious? I think so, but you can check their monthly financial reports at https://blog.ecosia.org/ecosia-financial-reports-tree-planting-receipts/ and read this article with some insights for example - An Unbiased Review of Ecosia https://www.patharoundtheworld.com/ecosia-review/.
I did switch my standard search engine and startup page (in Google Chrome and Firefox) to ECOSIA today, just an easy change and small step, but when everybody is doing it, could make a big difference 😎. Check it out and give it a try.
Alternative is always to donate some money directly to plant trees at https://onetreeplanted.org/.
A colleague of mine came up with the ECOSIA idea this week, when Vodafone Germany started Mission Green https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wir-fahren-die-emissionen-runter-damit-es-f%C3%BCr-den-geht-ametsreiter/ as part of our new Purpose Lead strategy -- “Vodafone’s purpose is to connect for a better future and is supported by our commitment to improve one billion lives through an inclusive digital society while halving our environmental impact by 2025.” See more Energy innovation details at https://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/vodcom/sustainability/pdfs/sustainablebusiness2019.pdf#page=25
And tomorrow at 01.00 PM the admission starts for TEDxKoenigsallee 2019 - Outside the Bubble https://tedxkoenigsallee.de/speakers/ in the famous Tonhalle Duesseldorf (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/Tonhalle_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg/1200px-Tonhalle_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg). Will keep you posted and summarize.
We worry about appearing awkward in a presentation. But up to a point, most people seem to feel more comfortable with less-than-perfect speaking abilities. It makes the speaker more human - and more vulnerable, meaning he is less likely to attack our decisions or beliefs. --John P. Kotter, American - Educator Born: February 25, 1947, https://www.kotterinc.com/8-steps-process-for-leading-change/
40 minutes ago I did get an email with the screenshot of the counter on the left, we have a winner. Just need to agree a day and time for the winner-lunch or dinner now.
Thanks guys for passing another milestone together, very much appreciated and I like your ongoing support. Next milestone is now #200,000 overall readers, what should be reached in the next 4 - 6 weeks.
I will possibly prepare a new MySimpleShow https://www.mysimpleshow.com/ video and think about a special price for the winner. Really great to pass the 100k (29-Jan-19) and 200k milestone in the same year 😉👍.
Sometimes you can't see yourself clearly until you see yourself through the eyes of others. -- Ellen DeGeneres, American - Comedian Born: January 26, 1958, https://www.ellentube.com/
For more details related to the picture see https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-employee-experience-important-jan-tegze/
There are days when suddenly opportunities come up that you should use, to get some quick wins (low hanging fruits) or make progress faster than initially planned. This is the time when you have to find the right balance between "Done is better than perfect" https://www.rethinkandfocus.com/429718297/6776939/posting/done-is-better-than-perfect and "Go slower, to be faster" https://www.rethinkandfocus.com/429718297/6791451/posting/go-slower-to-be-faster.
In this situation it is really helpful to have somebody with experience, overview, a vision, an opinion and decision making experience in the team --> stop talking, just do it. Sometimes it is about time to stop meetings / discussions and to go into operating mode, the real hands-on project work 😉.
The more experienced people (has nothing to do with age) should help to develop, mentor and coach the less experienced team mates, in the interest of all involved parties 👍.
Unlike a drop of water which loses its identity when it joins the ocean, man does not lose his being in the society in which he lives. Man's life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self. -- B. R. Ambedkar, Indian - Politician April 14, 1891 - December 6, 1956, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Bhimrao-Ramji-Ambedkar
P.S.: Just 378 readers to go for the next milestone. Get ready for the competition.