Proceeding with my writing in more blog style on this page ...
Thanks again to my one-, some-, several- and all-the-time readers, as we reached another weekly high at 4,095 readers/last week 👍👍👍. What an unbelievable number, as this is 585 readers per day. I am deeply impressed by your support, very much appreciated.
The increase of weekly readers might still be related to reaching the #200,000 overall reader milestone on 07-Nov-19, but I am not sure and will see it in the coming weeks. Anyway just in case you missed it, a reminder for my celebration video at https://youtu.be/5RzlVXPiGig and the shortcut link to download my two eBooks at https://www.shorturl.at/emM07, still open for some more days 😉.
- THE PATH FROM EMPATHY TO ACCOUNTABILITY https://leadershipfreak.blog/2019/11/15/the-path-from-empathy-to-accountability/
- 13 Things Science Says Will Make You Much Happier https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/13-things-science-says-make-you-much-happier-dr-travis-bradberry/
- TED Playlist: Talks from inspiring teachers https://www.ted.com/playlists/182/talks_from_inspiring_teachers
- Stop Tracking Employees And Start Inspiring Them https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesinsights/2017/06/20/stop-tracking-employees-and-start-inspiring-them/#5ccd96914322
- DevOps Is Dead, Long Live NoOps https://medium.com/better-programming/devop-noops-difference-504dfc4e9faa
- Storytelling is a powerful communication tool — here’s how to use it https://ideas.ted.com/storytelling-is-a-powerful-communication-tool-heres-how-to-use-it-from-ted/
With ideas it is like with dizzy heights you climb: At first they cause you discomfort and you are anxious to get down, distrustful of your own powers; but soon the remoteness of the turmoil of life and the inspiring influence of the altitude calm your blood; your step gets firm and sure and you begin to look - for dizzier heights. -- Nikola Tesla, Inventor July 10, 1856 - January 7, 1943, https://www.biography.com/inventor/nikola-tesla
Content picture by https://pixabay.com/illustrations/content-is-king-online-marketing-1132259/
No BLOG post yesterday as there was a technical Internet issue in my part of Germany. A combination of my service provider and Google 😲. Unbelievable in 2019, when everybody wants to be always on and the enabling technology is down ...
During my studies back in the good old 1980s I had a lecture about industrial design and the main discussion was, is the key driver for design "form follows function" or "function follows form"? When you are designing a large industrial plant the function definitely drives the form and the main design effort might be related to the color only 😉. An infotainment system in the automotive industry is purely driven by form, and the function has to fit into the available space inside the given design. In this example I see the form as the format and the function as the content, just to be clear.
After my studies I did work several years in the mechanical CAD area and we made a clear separation between basic meta data, the drawing format and header plus the content to be filled in the header or to be added on the drawing. All information was only coming together on a Computer screen of by printing the drawing. A perfect way to e.g. rebrand a company over night, you just need to change the drawing formats. Something similar is XML (designed to carry data) versus HTML (designed to display data) files https://www.w3schools.com/XML/xml_whatis.asp
Coming to the work environment of 2019, where every manager or project is requesting individual reports about the progress made during a defined period of time. As long as you are meeting the format requirements content does not matter, because it is much more difficult to control and verify anyway 😉. What a waste of time, especially in an Agile environment https://youtu.be/Z9QbYZh1YXY. The supporting tools should be smart enough to collect the necessary content and then the manager or project can fill it into their personal reporting format on their own. Put the pain where it should be, will increase the motivation to reuse already existing reporting formats 😉.
So with respect to Format versus Content for me it should be EITHER OR and not AND. Give it a try.
- New Volvo Cars To Set Maximum Speed Limit Of 180 Kmph From 2020 https://auto.ndtv.com/news/new-volvo-cars-to-set-maximum-speed-limit-of-180-kmph-from-2020-2002948
- Women in the Workplace 2019 https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/gender-equality/women-in-the-workplace-2019
- Boston Dynamics CEO on the company’s top 3 robots, AI, and viral videos https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/12/boston-dynamics-ceo-on-the-companys-top-3-robots-ai-and-viral-videos/
- 5 ways to reduce single-use plastic in the Middle East https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/11/five-ways-to-reduce-single-use-plastic-in-the-middle-east
"If you describe someone as living in an ivory tower, you mean that they have no knowledge or experience of the practical problems of everyday life." https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ivory-tower
I assume you know, what the phenomenon is about when you are working in larger and/or internationally active companies. The combination of de-centrally operating units in different regions or countries working with a central organization taking care of standards, processes, tools, mission/vision/purpose, investor relations and budgets for example. The operating units are claiming to have the knowledge and expertise how to run the daily business and doing the "real work". The central, ivory tower guys have the power and are in control, what leads to ongoing conflicts about roles and responsibilities and many other topics.
Working in the de-central unit you basically have two choices, how to handle the central guidance in different areas of the business. Either push back and do it your own way, or accept the central direction and make it happen sooner or later. If you cannot make it happen (due to local laws, wrong assumptions in the tower, difficult control mechanisms, etc.), you still might have the time and opportunity to collect enough arguments, why the central guidance is difficult or impossible to implement in the region. Exactly, what you need to push back in a second step 😉. The more arguments and proof you have, the better for success.
So be self-confident, positive and open for new stuff and change in the region, will also be good for your personal development and benefit 👍.
- IBM boss Ginni Rometty urges businesses to widen the hiring pool to fill skills gap https://www.zdnet.com/article/ibm-boss-ginni-rometty-calls-for-businesses-to-widen-the-hiring-pool-to-fill-skills-gap/
- Ten Things Genuinely Confident People Do Differently https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-genuinely-confident-people-do-differently-dr-travis-bradberry/
- Niche work if you can get it https://www.strategy-business.com/article/Niche-work-if-you-can-get-it
The greatest advances of civilization, whether in architecture or painting, in science and literature, in industry or agriculture, have never come from centralized government. -- Milton Friedman, American - Economist July 31, 1912 - November 16, 2006, https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/1976/friedman/biographical/
Highlight of the week was passing the #200,000 overall reader number on Thursday, thanks again for making this happen. 10 month after 100k we also passed 200k.
As a perfect fit to the 200k number the nice and sweet St. Martin's Day bread on the left that I formed today. The official day is tomorrow 11-Nov-19, same day when the Carnival season 2019/2020 starts at 11.11 AM in the Carnival strongholds like Cologne, Duesseldorf and Mainz for example.
More details about the St. Martin's Day celebration around the world are available from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin%27s_Day#Celebrations_around_the_world, for the special German version see https://germanfoods.org/german-food-facts/martinstag-st-martins-day/. That collecting sweets and treats seems to have a fascination even for older kids was visible yesterday, when my 16 and 19 year old kids where asking for it as well 😉. Singing a St. Martin's song and having a "selfmade" lantern as prerequisite did not hold them back. You can even light up an empty water bottle with the flash light of your mobile phone, what a creativity when you can get some sweets for it 👍.
When I was young we all had candle-lit lanterns, but this tradition was replaced by battery sticks and lamps over time. To avoid any fires in the school or burning lanterns during the procession and it was much easier to handle during rain, as November 11h is not really well known for great weather conditions. But lately the old tradition seems to be coming back and more and more lanterns are candle-lit again, another retro-vintage trend.
- The 10 Must-Read Articles for Recruiters This Week (08-Nov-19) https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/weekly-digest/2019/10-must-read-articles-for-recruiters-this-week32
- How a simple if/then ritual can help you overcome obstacles and achieve your goals https://ideas.ted.com/how-a-simple-if-then-ritual-can-help-you-overcome-obstacles-and-achieve-your-goals/
- The 5 Most Important Job Skills For The Future https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2019/11/04/the-5-most-important-job-skills-for-the-future/#476022501e5d
I'm the proof - you can't throw away tradition. -- Vivienne Westwood, English - Designer Born: April 8, 1941, https://www.viviennewestwood.com/en/