Proceeding with my writing in more blog style on this page ...
Still a busy strike day today around the world, nobody was stopped by Friday 13th December, 2019. For more details check the Statistics page https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/statistics/graph and some more useful information at https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/earth-temp-timeline.
Greta made it on the cover page of the Time Magazine as Person of the Year, https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/09/greta-thunberg-climate-change-strikes. On the 2019 Forbes "The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women" list she is #100, still room to go up 😉. And given the fact that she just started on 20 August 2018, being a 15-year-old nine-grader, this is a great achievement for the 1st year in public https://www.forbes.com/power-women/#10df02685e25.
To close for today, a related article:
- When women lead, workplaces should listen https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/leadership/when-women-lead-workplaces-should-listen
I think there are many things that we can do today to make it a better work environment that is more supportive and encouraging of diversity. -- Aileen Lee, American - Businesswoman Born: 1970, #92 on the 2019 Forbes list, https://www.aileenclee.com/
"... note-taking requires effort. Rather than passively taking information in, the act of encoding the information into words or pictures forms new pathways in the brain, which stores it more firmly in long-term memory. On top of that, having the information stored in a new place gives students the opportunity to revisit it later and reinforce the learning that happened the first time around." taken from Note-taking: A Research Roundup https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/note-taking/
Writing a BLOG is kind of note-taking as well, you store the information/ideas/opinions in a new place and can revisit it anytime later. When you create an eBook out of it in PDF format, you can even search across several hundred pages easily 😉👍. If you do not like writing, you might be artistically inclined or are just looking for an alternative approach to enter a new interesting world, Drawing could be the way to go? Doodles and sketches instead of letters, why not?
How to Build a Daily Drawing Habit https://www.verbaltovisual.com/daily-drawing-habit/
If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered. -- Edgar Allan Poe, American - Poet January 19, 1809 - October 7, 1849, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Edgar-Allan-Poe
I am not a big technology person. I don't go on the Internet really much at all. Drawing is like a zen thing; it's private, which in this day and age is harder to come by. -- Tim Burton, American - Director Born: August 25, 1958, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Tim-Burton
Updated https://www.pentoz.com/ picture, as we have a leap year in 2020
Another good example for the #SPIRIT topic from yesterday is Greta Thunberg. Independent from your opinion about her, she has a really good activating principle influencing (positively motivating) other people. Two examples for a potential resume, she is just 16 years old:
There's so much spirit of integration and democracy in jazz. -- Wynton Marsalis, American - Musician Born: October 18, 1961, https://www.youtube.com/user/wyntonmarsalis
A small collection of other interesting material:
- In Rome you can swap plastic bottles for metro tickets https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/08/rome-recycling-plastic-bottles-subway-fare
- The Issue with Scrum in Continuous Innovation https://shiftup.work/the-issue-with-scrum-in-continuous-innovation/
- TED Talk with Greta Thunberg https://www.ted.com/talks/greta_thunberg_the_disarming_case_to_act_right_now_on_climate_change
- When speaking a new language, what matters most is your attitude https://ideas.ted.com/when-speaking-a-new-language-what-matters-most-is-your-attitude-not-your-accuracy/
- 20 Big Ideas that will change your world in 2020 https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/big-ideas-2020-facebook-amazon-netflix-more-business-trends-roughol/
TIME 2019 PERSON OF THE YEAR - Greta Thunberg https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2019-greta-thunberg/
Picture by Simon Sinek at https://simonsinek.com/product/share-the-golden-circle-presenter-slides-and-notes/
Culture = the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution or organization (1b at https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/culture)
Spirit = the activating or essential principle influencing a person (5a), a special attitude or frame of mind (and 6a at https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spirit)
Two weeks before the holiday season is going to start, we had the announcement of the new/future common company culture with our company CEO and 10k+ employees connected via video and phone today. According to the culture definition above we learned about the goals and practices that will cover our HOW part of Simon Sinek's Golden Circle going forward. Under #SPIRIT we will be learning more details in the coming days - activating the principles influencing a person or many more in this case 😉. More to come ...
Culture can really have a positive influence on a company, its products, the customer perception and trust. But how do you measure success?
- The 10 Company Culture Metrics You Should Be Tracking Right Now https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/246899
- 3 Companies That Do Culture Right and What You Can Learn From Them (Infographic) https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/246768
- 6 Steps for Creating a Strong Company Culture https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/244309
As Google was mentioned in the Infographic, a good example to proceed. When you come to the point that the name of your product is used as a new word in the standard vocabulary or dictionary, like to google for an Internet search or Tempo for a paper tissue (in Germany), your company culture was really successful 👍.
“A culture is strong when people work with each other, for each other. A culture is weak when people work against each other, for themselves.” – Simon Sinek, https://simonsinek.com/
- Talks that'll inspire you to unplug https://www.ted.com/playlists/435/talks_that_ll_inspire_you_to_u
- 7 Winning Tactics For Disconnecting From Work During The Holidays https://www.forbes.com/sites/danabrownlee/2019/12/10/7-winning-tactics-for-disconnecting-from-work-during-the-holidays/#3e6e550225fe
- A Petition! Let’s bring Simon Sinek to Germany! https://digitalmisfits.net/getsimon/#english
Due to the technical issue with the counter last week, I missed a new 5 week average record for readers per week by just 34. No issue, we will beat it next time 😉.
A busy week last week and we had a lot of interesting topics, from trust and consequence, via self-awareness, flexibility and change, to disruption. What an interesting journey? In the coming week we will have a first Christmas event during a town hall meeting. We will use this gathering to do some marketing and communication for the new integration project. Always good to be close to the customers and colleagues, who are interested in more details.
Marketing is a good keyword, as my wife and I had a real life example yesterday, when we were looking for a new floor lamp. The local retail stores in German cities are complaining a lot about their online competitors like Amazon and a lot of others. So we are going into this store to see the lamp in reality and even touch it, to get some haptic and functionality experience. And all floor lamps were presented on a shelf at 1.5 meters height. How stupid can you be, not understanding the basic needs of your customers. In the end we did go to another store and bought the lamp there.
Some marketing related links in addition to the one from yesterday about Snapchat:
- Snapchat Business Model Canvas https://www.innovationtactics.com/snapchat-business-model-canvas/
- The coming era of ‘on-demand’ marketing (an interesting article from 2013 with an outlook to 2020) https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketing-and-sales/our-insights/the-coming-era-of-on-demand-marketing
- 7 Unmissable Innovations And The Latest Technology Trends At CES 2020 https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2019/12/02/7-unmissable-innovations-and-the-latest-technology-trends-at-ces-2020/#3dee202062b3
And some other interesting content to share:
- The 10 Must-Read Articles for Recruiters This Week (06-Dec-19) https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/weekly-digest/2019/10-must-read-articles-for-recruiters-this-week36
- Global AI Survey: AI proves its worth, but few scale impact https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-insights/artificial-intelligence/global-ai-survey-ai-proves-its-worth-but-few-scale-impact
- Lilium flying taxis go live in 2025: ‘This is how you’re going to experience the future’ https://venturebeat.com/2019/12/06/lilium-flying-taxis-go-live-in-2025-this-is-how-youre-going-to-experience-the-future/
The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself. -- Peter Drucker, American - Businessman November 19, 1909 - November 11, 2005, https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/peter-drucker/